Saturday, February 27, 2016

Craftsmanship and Me, I mean...I

Once again, my desire to be a precision craftsman has bit me in the ass.
The shower pan is not setting properly because the flange that attaches the pipe to the drain is larger than the hole I cut in the floor. 
I have slid a couple of 2x4's under the shower pan to lift it off the floor as high as I can. My plan is to crawl under the house with my sawsall and enlarge the hole from underneath. The reason I must do this is because we have glued the drain pipe to the drain flange and so, the shower pan is not going anywhere.

I shall report on my progress in the next paragraph.

Here we are at the next paragraph and a few hours have passed. I think I am successful with my shower pan project but I won't know until tomorrow.  That's when I will crawl back under the house and inspect the hole I've been trying to make bigger. As for crawling in and doing the inspection today...I'm done! I'm old, I'm sore and I have bad knees. Inspection can wait until tomorrow.

I have been working in a very confined space, made smaller by electrical wire and water lines running through my work space.

I started with my sawsall but it was too big to fit in the space. Next I brought the drill down, hoping to make some holes that I can fit my jigsaw blade through. 

The jigsaw kind of worked but I couldn't maneuver it very well and I simply could not make it move into a couple of spots. So, back to the drill and drilling a series of holes.

The shower pan appears to be laying flat but a good inspection from below will let me know how that flange is sitting...and hopefully be done...and able to move on to the next project.

All of this fallderall could have been avoided by making the hole big enough at the start when I had easy access to it.

No comments: