Sunday, January 31, 2016

T Minus Eight Days Until Tile Day

Susan and I are both working in the bathroom and it isn't going well. I'm in my corner trying to finish the dry walling and cement boarding and she is in every other corner creating sanding dust and general mayhem.
Here is one of the problems I'm trying to get through. I need to place a piece of dry wall in that space shown below.

There is a six inch gap in this 2x4 so there is nothing to affix the drywall to at the top. So I'm going to splice a 2x4 into the space. 
This is what one gets when one splices a modern era 2x4 with a 2x4 from 100 years ago. One hundred years ago, 2x4's actually measured 2 inches by 4 inches.
So I had to find a shim to make it a half inch thicker. I didn't quite make it but it's enough to secure the dry wall so I can live with it. Any imperfections I leave to my bride who is a world class mudder/taper/imperfection fixer! I mean, crap! Look what she's done with me!
My other project is getting the cement board up in the shower area.
This is how far I got today before the clash of the sander. However, I'm told I need to remove the board on the right and make the hole bigger around the shower handle. I thought I was being really exacting with my precision hole cutting, but I forgot I had to leave some room to attach the handle fixture.

So, that looks like that's about all that is going to get done this weekend. We shall see how we proceed through the week in preparation for Tile Day.


No comments: