Thursday, June 25, 2015

Rants and $$$

I have stuff to report but first, a rant about Coffee Hipster Doofusses. Or is it Doffussi? Whatever it is, it prevents me from getting a decent cup of coffee in the morning.

Let me start by saying I am no coffee purest. I load in the sugar. Coffee on it's own is not for me. I can get along without cream but I must have the sweet.

While I can defer the creamer, my preference is for a creamer of the chocolate variety, making a nice soothing mocha with which to start my day.

But can you find a flavored creamer that is just chocolate? The answer is "NO!"

They have vanilla (not bad), hazelnut (nope), Pimento with ginseng (NOOOOOOOOO!). All I want is a delicate chocolate tint to my coffee. But there is nothing even close...or it is sold out. That alone should tell these grocery people what to stock.

I've been forced to buy a little bottle of Nestles Quik and use that, AND IT'S NOT CUTTING IT!

See what I'm like when I don't get my coffee!

Two major purchases in as many days is moving us onto the cutting edge of the cutting edge.

I bought a Dremmel side cutting saw ($89.00). I need to get in close to the walls in the bathroom to clear the ledge where the sub floor will rest. Chiseling the old floor boards was not cutting it. (Pun intended) It appears that the old sub floor went down before the walls went up. That makes it very difficult to remove the flooring.

Anyway, I'm plugging away at the walls and hopefully will have some subflooring down on Sunday.

The other big purchase was a long overdue NEW LAWN MOWER. My old Craftsman Tecumseh had finally thrown in the lug wrench. It lasted for almost 18 years and that was after I bought it at a Pawn Shop. So it served me well and I felt a twinge of guilt as I turned it over the Country Homes Power for a $50.00 credit towards my new HONDA Double Bladed Power-Torque Mulching Lawn System (499.99 plus tax).

That's right! It's not just a mower. It's a Lawn System. I think that allows them to charge an extra $150.00 for it.

That five hundred bucks includes an extended warranty with annual servicing.

I mowed last night and it was quite fab. The mower has two features that really made it attractive. Number One: a really big opening to the grass catcher which makes dumping the grass much easier than my old mower. Number B: Susan paid for half of it.

On top of all this activity, we are two days away from our annual Solstice Party. We are a week late because Susan had to work last Saturday at a giant event. So we put it off until this Saturday. We've been slowly cleaning and preparing for a couple of weeks now so we have not experienced the level of stress that normally oozes from Susan and runs downhill to me.

A bunch of food is already prepared, the homebrew is in the keg, and the grounds are acceptably ready. Not great, just acceptable.

And of course, we will be one bathroom short.

Here's a digital version of this years invitation. Sorry I can't make it any larger. If you double click on it, it comes up pretty clear.

No comments: