Sunday, May 17, 2015

We Ache therefore, We Are Productive

We got a late start at our endeavors today but started them we did and even finished them, we did. Sounding like Yoda, I am.

I really wanted to start tearing into the bathroom some more but we decided that the front garden, and the condition of our Arbor Vitae's was more pressing. Besides, I was able to do a little work in the bathroom yesterday. Plus, I got the lawn mowed...a much needed chore since we had been gone for over a week.

So I broke out the many hand tools of gardening destruction and a few power tools as well.

Susan worked on the walled garden at the front of the house while I concentrated on cleaning out under the shrubbery. I'm guessing we haven't done it in five years. I base that on my feeble memory and the amount of fibrous detritus that my leaf blower hurdled skyward.

We were out there for about four hours and did a pretty good job. The front gardens are ready for some roto-tilling where I will be adding a great deal of peet moss to the ground dirt in order to try and change its consistency from something resembling cement.

I should add that it rained yesterday which means it was the second opportunity I had to see how the new rain barrels worked. From the storm we had on Wednesday, we filled both barrels, 80 gallons total. Same story for the rain storm we had yesterday. Both barrels were right up to the top. I currently have them attached to soaker hoses that are watering the shrubs.

It's pretty amazing to me that we got 80 gallons out of those storms. That's FREE WATER! I really should try filtering it and sterilizing it and using it for my Kool-Aid.

The day is now coming to a close and we are sore, which means we did something today. I can sleep on that!

No comments: