Monday, May 25, 2015

It's Not A Holiday Without Hollendaise

I slept in until 8:30. Susan got up about 9. We had late night at the fire pit. Perhaps I covered it in the previous post.

We made a fabulous breakfast of Eggs Benedict since we still had Hollendaise Sauce left over from last night. A great start to a great day.

Since we have been sooooo awesome over the last two days with respect to the bathroom project, we are using today to work in the yard. Specifically, we have to get our front yard flower beds into better shape.

When we built the retaining walls for the garden beds a few years ago, we used dirt from a local landscaping company (Whitkoph) to fill them up. We used what they called Garden Blend. From that name, I concluded that this was the ideal dirt to use in a garden.

I was wrong! They could have told me that it would be prudent to add some sort of mulch or compost or peet moss to make the garden blend less like concrete, which is what it turned out to be...but they didn't!
So now, we are adding peet moss. I am up to $70.00 worth of peet moss and I think that will be enough. I have a little roto-tiller and I have already completed work on the western expanse of front yard garden. Now I have to do the eastern expanse.

The only minor complication is the weather. I woke up to thunder about 4AM and when I went to the bathroom, I saw a cascade of rain raining rain down upon the place where I reign. Well, where Susan reigns and allows me to help.
Anyway, the rain barrels are again full and the ground is mushy. The grass didn't need any additional water but it looks like more rain is coming today so they need to be drained. I solved the problem by letting the barrels empty onto the yard.

I called it a complication but that is not really the word. It would be nice if the weather was a sunny and warm as the last two days when we were working indoors. And yet, a cool day in the yard without getting rained on is okay as well.

Timing is not our...uh...ya'know...um...thing.

I am going forth to the yard now and will report back as rest breaks require my presence and participation.

4:50PM: We have not only completed our gardening chores, but we have already been to and returned from the Hub.

Everything went well with the roto-tilling and the planting.

There really is not much more to add than these pictures.




1 comment:

Raymond Quinn said...

It looks like those flower beds are off to a great start! All that’s left now is to wait for them to grow and fill up the space. I just hope that they don’t get flooded by any incoming rains that you may have had, but I'm sure you've though of countermeasures for those already. Good day!

Raymond Quinn @ RiverOaksPlantHouseWestheimer