Sunday, March 22, 2015

Vernal Cometh...and Siteth Awhilst

It is Spring!

That means it is time to change the water in the Hot Tub. I haven't paid the hot tub much attention in the last few weeks so replacing the water seems even more urgent than it might otherwise.

I hauled out my hoses from the winter storage bunkers and connected up to the hot tub drain. Then I ran the hose out to the curb and got the flow started. After a few minutes, I checked the water flow. It was fine but it was still coming out cold. Surely by now enough time had elapsed to warm up the hose. I went to the tub and it was 50 degrees. Icy cold! In fact, the power had been cut off.

I flipped the breaker next to the tub and got nothing. I ran down to the main breaker and got nothing. I finally remembered that there is an internal breaker and I flipped that on. Ker-Chunk! I got power. I also discovered a rather sizable leak in one of the jet pumps.
I had a little trouble getting this shot because the leak sealed itself shortly after the pump started up. In fact, now it seems to be okay.

I have refilled the tub and the water has come up to temperature. There may be a small leak when I first turn on the pump, but it seems to seal itself.

I'll keep an eye on it. I want to find out why the internal breaker tripped. That's the most troubling part of this.

We are coming to the time of year when the tub doesn't get much use. So I have time to try and figure this issue out.

No comments: