Saturday, January 10, 2015

Remodeling 2105 Style

I think it is about time to start talking about a remodeling project. That is the alleged point of this so called Blog after all. Additionally, in order to maintain the stringent requirements of (H.I.B.A.A.) the Home Improvement Blogging Association of America as well as the strict guidelines of M.W.C.B. (Men Who Can't Build), I must occasionally talk about remodeling here.

I went skiing yesterday. It was fabulous and I think I did well for my first day up for this season. That is, until I got home. By then my body had realized what I had been doing all day and started to complain. Most specifically, it complained in my legs, my butt, and my ability to stay awake. I was in bed by 9.

Fortunately, sleep is the great healer and I awoke this morning with nary an ache or complaint.

That allowed me to concentrate on the next remodeling project which will be........drum roll........the new upstairs closet.

The next part of this project will be to put in a door. Doors are good because they help facilitate access to spaces that are between walls.

The plan is to slightly move the existing wall, perhaps a foot, to create more room in the closet.

My jobs to accomplish today are simple.
1) Discover if the existing wall is a weight bearing sort of structure.
2) Shop for pocket doors.

Update-7:48 PM: It's a quiet night around the estate. I'm watching the Seahawks in their playoff game with Carolina. It's into the third quarter and Seattle is up by four.

Susan and I took a trip to Home-A-Rama to check out the cost and availability of pocket doors. They are available and it looks like it will cost us about $35.00 for a door and $85.00 for the pocket door assembly and frame.

I checked to see if the wall is a load bearing wall and my uneducated guesstimate is that it is. I will be assembling my team of experts to confirm and verify in the weeks to come.

Now we have to start figuring out logistics. We've been sleeping in the back bedroom because it has the Sleep Number bed, which we really like. We are going to have to move most of the furniture and stuff out of the room for this remodel as we'll be doing a few other remodeling things in the room.

I hope to be getting this underway in the next couple of weeks.


No comments: