Saturday, December 06, 2014

Hillbilly Tree Removal

It's been an interesting week and it needs to be chronicled. I will tell you that the events I'm about to describe and unfold could all have been eliminated if I was capable of uttering the word, "No!"

We are deep into Holiday Decorating Season. Susan and I have been out painting sky walks for the last ten days. So we have very little time to devote to anything but going to our jobs and then going out to paint.

Last Saturday, November 29th,as it was getting dark, this guy shows up at the back door and asks about the giant branch that was laying on the garage. He said his name was Martin and he specialized in tree removal. I got a looooong song and dance about how he's been doing it for 25 years. 

He said he would take the limb off the garage for $150.00. I told him to do it. It was close to five o'clock and it was dark, but Marin was ready to go and take it down. I told him to wait until the next day when it was light.

When we returned from painting on Sunday, Martin had the branch down and pretty much cleaned up.

He then told me he could take down the whole tree for $400.00. I told him, "Take down that tree."

Susan was a little miffed because, clearly, Martin was not licensed and bonded. If I had to describe him, Hillbilly is the word that fits.

He worked great guns for two days and expertly dropped a bunch of branches without hitting the power line that runs beneath the tree. I asked him if he needed any money and he asked for $150.00. I didn't have any 50's so I gave him $200.00. 

He was here a little on Wednesday and a little on Thursday but not much of the tree came down. He asked for more money on Thursday and I told him, "No." I told him to finish the job and I'll pay him.

He hasn't been here in two days. My ladder is strapped 30 feet up in the tree. There are a bunch of branches in the driveway.

Hiring this Hillbilly is not my proudest moment. I feel he'll be back but on his own terms. He still has a lot of tree to get down. He definitely under bid the job. However, that is not my problem. My problem is that my ladder is strapped 30 feet in the tree. 


No comments: