Saturday, July 12, 2014

Catching up

If I'm not doing a good job of keeping things current, it's because I have a life to lead and precious little time to devote typing away here in the sweltering hot box that is this house. 

We are well into a week of 90 degree days. It is hot, baby!

With my weather complaint out of the way, as well as my semi-hapless apology for not keeping up, let's get caught up on what's been happening.

The Solstice Party went off without a hitch. We figured we were visited by about 40 people throughout the course of the evening. There was a ton of food, a ton of libations and frivolity and fun prevailed throughout the night. I think I was even in bed before 3...with the house basically cleaned up.

My sister, Stacey was in town from California and spent most of the night taking requests on the piano.

Last weekend, we were visited by my pal Arn-Dawg and his family as they conduct their whirl-wind tour of the Pacific Northwest. Arnie and his daughter Rebecca drove from San Fran via Bend, Oregon. Arnie's wife Haley joined us the next day when she flew in and spent a few days with us before venturing up to Priest Lake for a week up there. They had a great week of above average temperatures so I'm sure they enjoyed themselves. From Priest, they head to Yellowstone and more camping.

While here, I learned about Soccer because Arnie is a Soccer fan and the World Cup is going on. We went out to Cd'A to spend the day with another childhood pal, Robba and his clan. It was a great Saturday on the water.

Now we are back to normal here in Spokane but weathering very hot days. It's supposed to get over 100 on Sunday.

I attended two funerals today. The first was for our neighbor, Margie Arndt. She discovered a large tumor on her liver back in May and she died July 2nd. That was a tough one but I'm glad she was able to get out of the hospital and die at home. I'm also glad it happened quickly for her.

The second was for Fred Utter, the father of my friend Rick. Fred was 84 and like Margie, knew the end was coming and made a deliberate decision to allow it to happen. It was a very nice service and I went with Mom. We saw lots of people there that we had not seen in forever.

That's the great thing about funerals. The dead bring the living together.

No comments: