Thursday, March 20, 2014

Vernal Gets Gassy

I had the evening to myself because the NCAA Tournament is in town and that means Susan is working at the Arena, which is the same place where the NCAA Tournament is taking place.

I bought myself a nice thick lean piece of sirloin to put on the barbeque to celebrate the arrival of my good friend, Vernal Equinox. I fired up the barby and waited for it to get good and hot. 

Whilst I waited, I played a little piano and started a load of laundry. It's important to pay attention and not confuse these activities. Getting soap in the piano makes my playing sound even worse and I totally screwed up the washer when I tried to tune it.

The steak went on the hot grill over indirect heat and began it's short trip to warm rare. I had it in there about 20 minutes but flipped it every four minutes.
Just as I was about to remove the steak there was a stern knocking, pounding really, at the front door. I opened the door to a fireman and suddenly noticed that there were fire engines parked all over the place.
They must have rolled up in stealth mode because I never heard a siren. I had been pretty intent on my steak and watching the NCAA Tournament where Susan was working.

Apparently, there was a gas leak in the neighborhood. More specifically, in the alley behind the house. I was asked to evacuate to the park. I told the guy I had a steak on the que that needed to be removed. When I went to the deck to get the steak, that's when I smelled the gas.
I then spent the next 15 minutes standing around in the park and chatting with all my other neighbors who got evacuated. I think they went to every house around the block and asked everyone to get out.
By then, the smell of gas was in the air. 

I walked up to Cleveland street with my neighbor Lou and we scoped the situation out there. I saw some firemen draining fire hoses but other than that, there really wasn't anything to see there either.

As I walked back towards the house, I passed a group of fire persons who told me all was well. I returned to the house to replace my steak on the grill to warm it up. 

And it was worth the wait!

No comments: