Sunday, February 09, 2014

Broken String

I finally broke the string of consecutive posts at 35. Well, it had to happen sooner or later. The good news is that now I have some actual stuff of interest to post.

I skied yesterday with Mark. We went to Lookout Pass, which is my preferred ski hill.

We had planned to go up on Friday. We went so far as to take the day off. We concluded upon rising that it was too cold. The temperature on the mountain was 4. We decided to wait a day and see if it got better.

It did!

We drove up yesterday and arrived to a great parking spot and a clear blue sky. We only skied 6 runs due to a complication.

On our ride up the Number One chair for our fourth run, the lift stopped when we were a little more than half way up. After five minutes of no progress, we began to think there was something wrong.
Above is a picture of our view for most of the ordeal. We were close too a pole, but not close enough. After about 25 minutes, the lift moved suddenly...and then stopped just as suddenly. It continued doing that for the next 15 minutes. 

They finally got it moving steadily but slowly...which was fine at that point. Just get us off.  We unloaded at the top 50 minutes after the lift first stopped. 

You have no idea how heavy skis can get when they are just hanging off your legs for that length of time. 

A ski patrolman took our names and numbers at the top (we're not sure why)and we continued on our way. 

The number two lift was still running so we took a couple of runs but by then, the chill in our limbs was taking hold. 

We realized that if we went to the lodge, that would be it for skiing.

They had gotten everyone off the lift and now it was shut down. We ended up getting a voucher for another day, so all those runs were for free...or $39, depending on how you look at it.

I have chores to do today. Chief among them is to hook up an extension cord to the roof to prevent a giant icicle from ruining the ceiling of the Dining Room.

Okay! I was successful in getting the cicle down.

Susan continued to work on stenciling and I got a coat of paint on my window frames. Before that however, I was able to custom fit them to their respective places. It's a good thing I did too because they would not have fit. I'm still not sure they will after I get glass in them.

No comments: